How to Play Quotefalls Puzzles
The object of QuoteFalls is to construct a quotation by selecting from available letters in the vertical columns. The letters in each column of the puzzle will go into the squares immediately below them, but not necessarily in the order they appear. A word broken at the end of a line will continue on the next line. A black square indicates the end of the word. When you have placed all the letters in their correct squares, you will be able to read a quotation across the grid from left to right.
In this nearly completed puzzle, placing one available letter "E" into the colored square would create the word "QUOTE." Similarly the remaining letters in the columns above the grid would be placed in the empty cells in the grid to give the solution: "QUOTE PUZZLES ONLINE."
The interactive solver lets you solve the puzzle interactively in your web browser. Simply enter the letters into the puzzle grid by using the keyboard. The arrow keys move the cursor around the puzzle grid. You may also click the mouse to directly select a cell. Backspace and Delete keys are used to erase a letter. When you correctly complete the puzzle, a congratulatory message appears in a small popup window.
Strategy Tips and Hints
- One and two letter words are good places to start.
- Look for columns that have only 1 or 2 letters left.
- Look for columns that have repetitions of letters.
- Most quotes have the form of subject, verb, object, pithy clause.
Remember that the article
ais followed by a word starting with a consonant. The article
anis followed by a word starting with a vowel.
- See if you can make out any words just skimming through the scrambled columns.
- Don't forget that words can wrap around the right edge of the puzzle.